Governor Evers has issued an executive order (Emergency Order #1) beginning August 1st requiring a face covering for every individual in Wisconsin, age five and older, if both of the following apply:
- The individual is indoors or in an enclosed space, other than a private residence; and
- Another person or persons who are not members of the household are present in the same room or enclosed space.
Exceptions are made when eating or drinking, when in an enclosed space and you are the only person present, for people who have trouble breathing and for people with medical conditions that prevent the person from wearing a face covering.
The order does not apply to anyone who is leading a religious service. Presumably, this means that the priest, the cantor, the lector who reads the Scriptures, etc. would not be required to wear a face covering in the course of their duties during the Mass.
We will follow the Governor’s executive order here at the parish. If you have a face covering, please bring it when you attend Mass or any religious service. We will have face masks available but if you take one, please do not discard it since each one costs money.
Since the six-foot physical distancing cannot be observed when distributing Holy Communion at Mass, the deacons and I will wear the face covering during that time of the liturgy.
So – simply stated:
- We are required to wear a face covering when attending any religious service at St. Mary’s.
- Please bring your own face covering if you have one. If not, one will be provided at church.
- Remember, the dispensation from the Sunday Mass obligation is still in effect. The important thing for now is to keep the Third Commandment – Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day.
Thanks, everyone. God bless.